Wednesday, December 24, 2008

A Life of Faith

Recently I have been looking at blogs published by other members of my church, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. What I have seen has made me sad. There have been very few who have written of their experiences of how Jesus Christ has changed their life, choosing instead to criticize or focus on points of doctrine that have little to do with actually living the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

Sometimes we all need a reminder of the bedrock principles that provide the framework for living the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I like what Preach My Gospel (a book containing official church doctrine taught by missionaries all over the world) says on how to be saved:
"By faithfully following the gospel path of faith, repentance, making and keeping covenants, and receiving the Holy Ghost, we can qualify for eternal life."
-Preach My Gospel p. 69
In my own words, to live the Gospel of Jesus Christ is to live a life of faith, a life of repentance, a life regulated and empowered by covenants made with God, and a life filled with and led by the Holy Ghost. This pattern of leading will result in being cleansed from sin and born again, accompanied by feelings of peace and joy.

Living the Gospel of Jesus Christ has brought great joy and peace into my life, and has empowered me to acquire godly attributes, such as kindness and patience. Like the apostle Paul, it is my testimony that "By the grace of God I am what I am" (1 Corinthians 15:10). I know that all growth is a gift from the Lord as well as the joy that comes with it. By living Christ's gospel, I have experienced the miracle of forgiveness. Because of His Gospel I know of the peace and the comfort which can come during hard experiences. I also know "that there shall be no other name given nor any other way nor means whereby salvation can come unto the children of men, only in and through the name of Christ, the Lord Omnipotent" (Mosiah 3:17).

Having a desire to share my faith with those who do not know Jesus Christ or that His Gospel has been restored through the prophet Joseph Smith, I am starting this blog to share my experiences with living the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I want to have this blog be an introduction to or a reminder of what the Gospel of Jesus Christ is all about; how we can be transformed and cleansed by the power of Christ, and live in a state of joy and peace in this life regardless of what physically happens to us. Please comment and share your own experiences of the joy that comes through living the Gospel and following our Savior.

2 comments:

  1. Amen! I like your focus and look forward to reading more. I've added you to my blogroll so I can see them as they are posted. Thanks for sharing. We need more faithful writing like this. You're right - there's too many that are critical and not focused on faith or becoming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found your blog! I can't wait to catch up on it! You're amazing Daniel and you teach me so much!

    ReplyDelete